Wednesday, August 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM EDT
Thank you for participating in BookPALS & PencilPALS for the 2011-12 School Year!
It's that time again! As we begin our literacy adventures for another exciting school year, here are a few important reminders:
1. Please complete a district volunteer application through your county school system. Below is a list of websites and phone numbers for various counties. Please find your county and complete the necessary form before you begin volunteering. This is mandatory for all counties and all volunteers not only for liability reasons, but also to ensure that your school gets proper credit for your volunteer hours, which may qualify them for awards, grants and other benefits. Thank you in advance for taking the time to do this!
2. If you are a PencilPAL, you will be receiving an assignment in September. If you are new to BookPALS and need placement at a school, please contact Natalie. Iím happy to help you make the appropriate connections. If you are a returning BookPAL, please contact your teachers from last year to determine a weekly reading schedule thatís convenient for you and the teachers. Many teachers like to take the first few weeks of school to acclimate students to the new year. Please wait until after Labor Day to contact them for this reason. It can be difficult to reach teachers sometimes. If you have problems or questions, donít hesitate to call Natalie.
3. Once you have established a reading schedule and begin volunteering, please contact Natalie with the names and grade levels of each of the teachers you read for, as well as the name of school(s)--especially if you read at more than one school, as some of you so generously you do! This is important information that allows me to track the number of students we reach. Donít forget to ask for a school calendar so you are aware of the dates school may be closed for holidays, testing or field trips. Most calendars are available online via school district websites. If you need help, Iím happy to obtain a calendar for you.
4. Melissa Brandt, our National Book Reviewer, makes her book reviews easily accessible via our online BOOKFINDER. Bibliographies and other book recommendations are readily available. You should also feel free to speak with your teachers and the schoolís Media Specialist about book recommendations and borrowing books from the schoolís library. In addition, please visit the childrenís librarians at your local public library. They are a wonderful resource for BookPALS and PencilPALS.
5. Keeping talking to your teachers (and me!) as the weeks unfold. Share ideas about what seems to be working and how these programs can be shaped for your classes. Thank you for participating in these worthwhile programs! It's going to be a great school year!
Links to Volunteer Applications by County
Broward County: Please complete the application available at: http://www.getinvolvedineducation.com/volunteers/application.htm Hardcopy application is also availableóask Natalie for a copy or call 754-321-2040 for more info.
Duval County: Please complete and submit the following volunteer application:
http://www.duvalschools.org/static/offcampus/downloads/08%20District%20-%20School%20Volunteer%20App.pdf or call 904-390-2960 for more information.
Hillsborough County: Please complete and submit the following SERVE volunteer application: http://serve.mysdhc.org/forms or call 813-872-5254 for more info.
Lake County: Complete and submit the following volunteer application to your school: http://lake.k12.fl.us/16511031093556320/lib/16511031093556320/VOLUNTEER_APP.xls
Miami-Dade: Please complete and submit the following volunteer application to your school:
http://community.dadeschools.net/!svp/1764.pdf or call 305-995-1445 for more info.
Orange County: Please complete an ADDitions Volunteer Application at: https://volunteer.ocps.net/HowtoADDitions.asp or call 407-317-3323 for more info.
Osceola County: Please complete an OASIS volunteer application at your school or call 407-870-4955 for more info.
Palm Beach County: Applications must be completed on site at your school of choice. Visit http://www.palmbeachschools.org/pao/Volunteers/index.asp for more information
Pinellas County: should call or e-mail Family & Community Relations at: 727-588-6405 or email@example.com You may also visit: http://www.pinellas.k12.fl.us/volunteers/interested.html for a list of volunteer opportunities at various schools.
Seminole County: Please complete the Dividends volunteer application at: https://www3.scps.k12.fl.us/secure/CommInv_Vol/Vols2003/vollogin.cfm or call 407-320-0182 for more info.